Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Love for calming

About a week ago Elly had a total meltdown at bedtime. She was bargaining, making demands and ultimatums, and having screaming fits ("If you don't stop telling me to put on my jammies I'm going to go to bed right now with. my. clothes. on.")

Finally I took her by the hand and led her to bed as she was screaming down the hallway. I bundled her in a bear hug and forced her blankie onto her nose (she sniffs it for comfort). I held her and whispered over and over, "I love you. I love you. I love you." Finally she stopped screaming and I told her, "You're my first baby. You're so big. But you'll always be my baby. Once upon a time you were in my belly, and you came out, and you were a baby. And now you're so big and amazing and you're still my baby. And when you're a grown-up you'll be my baby. And I'll always love you just as much as I always have." And we cuddled for a few minutes and then she said, "Mommy, thank you for calming me down."

No comments:

Post a Comment