Friday, January 25, 2013

School update, already.

Nutrition is a good class.  I'm learning despite having studied it before.  I'm looking forward to getting to some more challenging work, though.  Chem should give me a run for my money when it comes around... haven't touched that since high school.

Spanish, on the other hand, I dropped.  The instructor was good, but a few things came up that made me decide to wait.  First, Scott had to miss work two out of my first three days of school, due to sick kids.  For a class that is a requirement, such as nutrition, that's fine, but for a class that is only for my personal development, I'm not okay with impacting him like that.  He's agreed to be the one to stay home for sick kids when I'm in nursing school, so I don't feel comfortable making him miss work so I can take an extracurricular, no matter how important it is to me in the long run.   Second, I realized that I don't see any point in learning Spanish partway but not to a useful level, and I won't have the opportunity to follow up on this semester's class for at least a year, so it doesn't make sense to do this now.  Third, I was quickly reminded that I learned French very easily, and Spanish seems to be following suit, so this route may be unnecessarily long and slow.  Because of all this, I'm looking for an alternative way to learn.  I have my home study program, plus the book from the class that I can't return, but I need a place to speak it.  A community based class would be wonderful - a way for me to learn along with others, but be responsible to myself.  I feel a little disappointed in myself for dropping a class for the first time, but on the other hand, I actually feel like I'm making a bigger commitment to learning by doing so - if I'd stayed in the class, I think it would have ended up just this one class.  Plus, I'm reaffirming the commitment I made to my family when I decided to go (mostly) off call and (mostly) out of school until Donovan goes to school full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment