Friday, June 10, 2005

Bustin' Out

Four months and one day after the scariest day of my life, we're done. Finito. Finished.

Eliana had her first pediatric GI appointment in 2.5 months yesterday. Dr. Davies said she's doing fantastic, staying on her growth curves, including weight-for-height, and we should just keep going with the high-fat high-calorie diet to meet her high metabolic needs. But what really sums it up, she said, "I don't need to see her anymore." She gave me her voicemail in case I ever get concerned, but we appear to be in the clear.

I wish Eliana could really understand this, she'd be so thrilled. I still had to tell her "no tube" as we were waiting for her appointment to start. It helped calm the hysteria but she still cried, repeating "I'd like-a be all done," with every breath. Even after the appointment, as we were waiting for her records to give to her new pediatrician, it took me a while to calm her down. Once she was no longer crying she changed the refrain... her last tearful "I'd like-a be all done" was followed by a very calm, "Wanna go bye-bye out door. 'Ere it is! Door have knob. Let's go get that knob!" After which she spent 5 minutes repeating "Let's go get that knob!" (which involved 5 minutes of me repeating "In a minute. We have to wait for our bye-bye papers.")

I spent the whole drive home fighting tears. After not only that horrible day 4 months ago but the entire stressful month of February, to find this relief and closure, just felt marvelous. Of course I'm sure pregnancy hormones had something to do with it too.

I hope we never need anything from Dr. Davies again, but as far as I'm concerned, that woman is the best doctor I have ever come across. We were blessed to have Eliana in her care.

2 comments:

  1. Have you written your ordeal anywhere publicly? I know we have spoken about it, but I would be interested in reading your reflections about it now that your in the safe zone and then some

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't. I did write about it in emails to friends, though, and have been thinking recently about publishing those emails here, after having referenced this experience in a recent post and having a couple friends have kids in the hospital. Maybe I'll go dig those up.

    ReplyDelete