Friday, March 31, 2006

Eliana update

I don't even know what to say about this girl. We spend every day full of fantastic and challenging moments that sadly never stick around in my brain long enough to be written down on paper. She is fully and gloriously two and a half, that's for sure. And a lawyer already... sometimes she makes so much sense, it's scary. (Thankfully, I would make a good lawyer myself, so she doesn't get away with much.) She is in the push-me-pull-me phase - to such a degree that it's not that she wants one thing one minute and another the next... she wants two opposite things at the exact same time. Especially if it involves the dichotomy of dependence and independence.

She copies well - I have come to realize that what sounds like rudeness or backtalk is only the two year old's imitation of the way adults (myself included unfortunately) sometimes talk to her. I've taken it as a learning opportunity to change my speech to better reflect the respect I have for her as a human being, to cultivate her self esteem even when discipline is involved. The fact that a demand from her is easily reshaped into a polite request by the simple statement, "please try again," thankfully provides some assurance that my interactions with her and my guidance are generally (if not always) respectful and patient.

She has taken it upon herself to learn a few new skills recently - putting shoes, undies, and shorts on by herself, and pottying "wif pwivacy", meaning that she can now get to the real toilet by herself. She can also get undressed by herself, if motivated by a bath, and can get into the bath by herself as well, though she is too cold to want to get out by herself. All new skills are taken upon at her own will - should I suggest she try something new by herself, she may try, but after a few seconds she collapses in a heap of "I can't do it! Help help help!!!"

Definitely two years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment