Thursday, April 20, 2006

Elly kitten

Elly loves to pretend to be a kitty. Often she gets a little too into it, and actually starts to lick her hand. We're working on the concept of pretend.

Tonight she wanted me to be the mama kitty and for her to be the baby kitty. So I pinned her down and pretended to lick her, explaining that's how mama kitties give their babies a bath. She giggled and giggled, then sat up, gave me a serious look, and said, "Mama kitty, are you hungry for some milk?" and lifted up her shirt. I wasn't going to get technical and explain that mama kitties give their babies the milk rather than the other way around - especially since I want to encourage any self-image of a nursing mama in my little girl - so I said, "Oh yes, thank you" and pretended to nurse. She was so proud of herself. She then said, "Mama kitty are you firsty now?" and held out her hand, saying "Here's some water."

Later on she reversed the role play - she said "Mama kitty, I'm hungry, I need some milk. Please I can nurse from you?" So I lifted my shirt and left my bra up - hoping she wouldn't want to imitate Kes and really try to nurse - and she pretended to nurse from my ribcage, then she said "There. My belly is full. Now I'm firsty. Are you please have some water for me?" So I held out my hand as she'd done for me earlier.

I love playing pretend with her. Watching her use her imagination while learning about the real world at the same time is so enthralling.

No comments:

Post a Comment