Thursday, January 11, 2007

And, she's done.

I know what I forgot to say.

Kes nursed for the last time on her 16 month birthday.

It took me quite a while to get over it, especially because I didn't see it coming and was convinced it was a strike for a few days. Then I felt like it was a strike turned into weaning and that made me sad. But then I figured out that there had been subtle warning signs that I had missed. She had stopped asking and was only nursing when I offered (at naptime and bedtime, the times that she had previously been asking). Her latch had gotten sloppy (slightly uncomfortable for me). Scott said he suspects she figured out that Elly doesn't nurse, and she wanted to be like big sister (as in everything else). So once I felt that it had been an organic process, I was able to grieve and find closure. I still would have preferred she hadn't quit so early or so fast, but I am very happy that I nursed her as long as she wanted to nurse, and that she made the decision for herself to wean when she wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment