Friday, December 5, 2008

More, more, more!

Eliana and I were eating lunch together the other day.

Elly: "Mommy, you'd better not eat too much or another baby will grow in your belly."

Me: "Oh, well I certainly don't want to eat too much so I don't get a stomachache, and you're right that babies in the belly need their mamas to eat a lot of food, but eating a lot of food wouldn't make another baby grow in my belly."

Elly: "Oh."

Me: "And we're not going to have any more babies, but I'm surprised to hear you say you don't think we should."

Elly: "Yes I do think you should. I want you to have as many children as Miss Hannigan!"

Me: "Wow! That's a lot! You know, Miss Hannigan didn't actually HAVE all those children, she is just in charge of them."

Elly: "I know, but that's how many children you and daddy should have."

Me: "Well, the government gives Miss Hannigan money to take care of those children, but Daddy and I only have the money that we make from work to take care of you, and if we had that many children, we wouldn't have enough money for all of you to have toys and do fun things like swim lessons, and maybe not even enough money for all of us to have enough to eat."

Elly: "Oh. Then how about just a couple more?"

No comments:

Post a Comment