Sunday, March 22, 2009

Eliana entertainment

Friday night we went to Shabbat services. Once a month they have a family dinner and family friendly services - basically the same as other services, but everyone should expect to have to tolerate the presence of many children and all the (insert adjective here) that can bring. Usually, at the end of services, a number of announcements are read off of a sheet that has been put together for the rabbi or lay leader. This week, the leader had no such sheet and therefore asked congregation members who had event reminders to simply announce them. After a few people spoke, Eliana raised her hand, and was given the floor. "I had something to share, but I forgot." The leader asked her if she needed help remembering. She said, "No, but if I find my thought, I'll just raise my hand and you can call on me." This amused the entire congregation.

Then Elly suddenly looked aware that she was the center of attention and less comfortable with it. Later I asked her how she felt when she spoke up. She said, "First, I felt curious and shy. Then, I felt shy and sad." I asked her why she felt sad and she said, "Because they thought it was funny, and I didn't mean to be funny." :(

Yesterday I made cookies for a friend's birthday. I screwed up the first batch but they were still good enough for the kids, just not good enough to gift. So I had them out on a plate on the counter. Today I saw Eliana skip from the kitchen to the living room, overly nonchalantly.
I followed her and opened my mouth.
She clamped both her hands over her mouth.
I went over and looked at her and there were brown crumbs on her lips.
Me: "What are you chewing?"
Eliana: "I'm sorry, Mama."
Me: "How many cookies did you eat?"
Eliana: (holds up 5 fingers)
I laughed out loud. I couldn't help it. I told her I'd have to think of what her consequence would be. She said, "Yes, Mama."

No comments:

Post a Comment