Sunday, August 28, 2011

Random happenings

D: "Mommy? An me hab peany butta like Olly?" (Eliana has just had her bedtime snack: Barney's almond butter on a spoon.)
Me: "You want it on a spoon like Elly?"
D: "Yeah, yeah, me hab it on a poon! Pleadz?"
Me: "Okay, let's go to the kitchen, I'll get it for you."
He leads the way. By the time I get to the kitchen, he's holding the tub of Barney butter, which he hands to me. I notice that he's also licking his teeth.
Me: "Did you already eat some peanut butter?"
D: "No."
I look inside. There's clearly scrape marks along the side. Elly's spoon, or D's fingers?
Me: "Did you use your fingers?"
D: "No, me not."
I smell almond butter on his breath.
Me: "You clearly ate some, my son. Tell me, what did you use to eat the peanut butter?"
D: "Me tongue." Sticks it out. "Me need a poon, Mommy."

I do love that he pronounces Elly "Olly" - my niece Meriden did the same at his age.

Also, he's combined "Yee-haw!" and "Wheee!" into a delightful exclamation - "Whee-haw!" That might be the best word ever.


The girls started at a new school last week - two days of school then the weekend. It's a small school - only one class per grade. Today she got invited to a birthday party, happening today, because they had invited all the girls in the class a month ago and the mom just figured out this morning that there were new kids to invite. I thought it was pretty cool that she went to the effort to get ahold of me and make sure that Kes didn't feel left out. After the party, Kesenia was describing to me who she was making friends with and what she likes about them, and then she said: "I think I'm going to make a good lot of pals this year, Mom." I couldn't be happier for her. Last year, in our homeschooling group, there were a ton of kids Eliana's age and one boy Kesenia's age. I am hopeful that this school is exactly what my kids need both academically and socially.

I overheard Eliana explaining to Kes the other day that there were two kinds of twins: "In one kind, like Rowan and Meriden, there are two eggs and two sperms and each egg gets a sperm. In the other kind, there's only one egg and it gets two sperms." (I stifled a laugh, then straightened that out really fast. )

1 comment:

  1. I love these moments you are documenting here. They're special. I miss you guys. I can't believe how big D is getting

    ReplyDelete