Sunday, June 24, 2012

Eliana on her birth day

Some memories of my babygirl on her birth day nine years ago:

She pushed her own way out of me, and cried when only her head was born.  I have a visual of her feet pressing a strange lump out of my belly at the top of my uterus when the contour of my belly had otherwise flattened due to her head being all the way out and her chest in my pelvis, with the accompanying sound clip memory of her first cry.

She moved constantly during labor.

She looked exactly like her father from the very moment she was born.  Acknowledging this was the first conscious thought I had when she was laid on my belly.

Her eyelashes were incredible.  The nurse commented on them right away.

She intently examined Scott while he held her for the longest while.

She was awesomely round and delicious, and covered in soft fur that lasted years and years.  Some of it is still there.

She had dimples that showed when she made some facial expressions, and they were not in the usual dimple spot, but much higher, on the top of her cheekbones near her eye.  I still see them when she smiles a certain way.



Happy, happy birthday baby.  You know that I didn't like some of the things that happened when I was giving birth to you, but I'm glad you also know that your arrival made me unspeakably happy, that I was awash in love for you from the very first moment I touched you, and that I treasure the memories of us in your birth.  What you may not know is that motherhood is much the same - no matter what happens, always, always, love trumps the rest.  I love you, daughter of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment