Thursday, April 3, 2008

Elly's academia

I do nothing, I swear. I am not didactic with this kid at all. We talk about stuff, but mostly because she asks me. But I never sit down and teach her. So what happens? She's still way too smart.

Me: "You have 14 toes."
Elly: "No!"
Me: "You have 8 toes."
Elly: "No! I have 10 toes. And 10 plus 10 is 20."
Me: "Wow, that's right!" (Thought to self, cool, she remembers counting all her fingers and toes a couple weeks ago... and she translated that into a math problem... cool. Then she blew me away:)
Elly: "And 11 plus 9 is 20."
Floored.

Today she read "Vitamin A & D milk" off the carton. She constantly is reading restaurant and store signs as we drive across town (it reminds me of my Grandma Anne who used to do this whenever we went anywhere). Tonight she read a 100 word 1st grade level book with only three prompts: Castle ("yes, that's what it should say, but it doesn't play fair, what do you think it says?") brought ("that doesn't play fair, the o-u-g-h is just saying o's sound") and general ("g usually says 'g' but an e usually makes a g say j's sound").

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I'm floored too, by the math, by the reading, wow!

    ReplyDelete