Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Colloquialisms

Tonight Eliana was doing online math flashcards, sitting on my lap. The assignment was 0-20 addition or subtraction, and after she finished it, she wanted to do x2 multiplication. The first problem that came up was 9x2. I said, "Oh, they're starting with a hard one." She turns around, looks at me with this expression that I was being ridiculous, and waved me off. The "oh, it's NOTHING" hand gesture. Where did she learn that?

Then, a few problems in, she accidentally typed a 5 instead of a 6 for 2x3 and pressed enter before she noticed. She burst into tears, and as I asked her why she was crying since nobody was ever going to see her answers and she and I knew she knew the answer, she suddenly pulled herself together, smiled, and said, "Don't make a cheesecake out of a cheese crumb."

Thank you, Geronimo Stilton.

I'm pretty impressed that she read a figure of speech in a book and not only applied it correctly but that it actually made her feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment