Friday, May 28, 2010

Mini midwife

Ellen, a local midwife, held a NRP skills role playing session today. For childcare, I had Kes at a playdate and D with a sitter who only had room for him, and Eliana was home from school due to today being a furlough day. (Yes, as in no school and the teachers not getting paid kind of furlough.) So, I took her with me to neonatal resuscitation role playing at Ellen's - brought books and activities. She didn't end up using any of them, since Ellen let her play in her son's room. Elly joined us at lunch, and then didn't want to leave once we started role playing again. First, she sat on laps and watched, then inched closer until I had to tell her she needed to back up out of everyone's way.

Elly: "I want to help, can I do something, Mom?"
Me: "No, because the student midwives need to practice how to help babies who are born needing some help to breathe at first."

The next role-played scenario involved a baby who was ready to go back to mom while mom was close to passing out, so I nudged the student who was holding the baby (looking a bit like she would rather be helping mom), and pointed to Elly:
"Dad can hold the baby while you help tend to Mom."
Eliana held the uglyscaryfetusdoll and utterly beamed.

After the next role playing scenario, she asked if she could help again, and I repeated myself.
E: "When you guys are done practicing, can you do a birth where the baby is okay, and then can I help?"

So, that's how NRP practice ended. I told her to receive the baby and hand baby to the Mom, and that she could then listen to the baby's heartbeat, which was going to be just great. That's exactly what she did. It was absolutely adorable, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment