Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Heat

On Monday we went from Sac back home, and after an hour of being home, our power went out. It went out in 110 degree heat. I went to class, and by the time I came home at 8pm, it was 95 degrees INSIDE my house. Kes was miserably crying, drenched in her own sweat, as Scott unsuccessfully tried to calm her and get her to sleep. I decided to pile the girls in the car to take them back to the air conditioned sanctuary of 78 degree Grandma and Grandpa's house, so that Kes wouldn't dehydrate herself into oblivion during the evening. Elly was conked out in her bed, but when I woke her up to get her in the car, she proved to be dehydrating in her sleep, as her hair and body were so drenched in sweat I had the distinct sensation that I was removing her from a hot shower rather than from her not-so-comfortable bed.

As we were leaving, Kes cried from when I closed Elly's door til when I got in the car and started the engine, and Eliana broke down completely, wailing. I said, "Honey what's the matter?" She said, "I'm sad because Kes is sad!" I said, "Look, Kes is all better now!" And Elly stopped crying and put Blank on her nose.

Then she said, "the air conditioning is on in the car! Our car has power!"
Me: "Yes, because our car has its own battery, but our house does not have a battery, it needs the power grid and the power grid is broken."
Elly: "Does Grandma's house have batteries?"
Me: "No, but Grandma's house has a power grid that is not broken. Grandma's air conditioning works."
Elly: "Ahhhhhh."

Then I asked, "Is the air conditioning OK? Can you feel that?" And she said, "Yes, thank you! I'm not hot anymore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment