Monday, May 22, 2006

Role playing

"Mama, I'm your doctor. I'm feeling your belly to see if it's OK. Your belly is sick. I have to wiggle it to make it better. Ok, it's all better. Now I have to feel your belly button to see if there is skin in there."
(Kes fusses)
Me: "Oh, doctor, my baby is hungry. Can you teach me how to feed a baby?"
Elly: "I know how to feed a baby. You nurse her like this!"
(makes cradling motion)

"I'm a baby. Play patty-cake with me."
(sits up)
"Now I'm a baby who can sit up all by myself."
(claps hands)
"Yay, yay, yay! I'm learning to talk. Mama. Mama! Now I'm learning to crawl."
(crawls around)
"I can use the exersaucer to stand up by myself. I'm scared I'm gonna fall! Boom!"
(lets go and falls on her rear)

Role playing helps her cooperate now, too. Today brushing her hair was painful due to some knots, and she was about to run away. I said, "Oh, baby kitty, mama kitty has to lick your fur to make you all clean and shiny. Come lay your head down in my lap so I can give you a kitty bath." And she totally cooperated to get her hair brushed and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment