Friday, August 24, 2007

Jelly Beans

Today, as Elly napped on the living room floor and I tried to rest on the couch, Kes told me she was going to go play with Legos. I closed my eyes to rest and kept my ears open enough to know she was in the room and not going to get into trouble somewhere. I heard some very quiet noises, and wondered what she was playing with, because it didn't sound like Legos, but I was sure it was nothing to worry about and kept trying to rest.

A few minutes later, Kessa climbed up on the couch with me. I heard her chewing and asked, "What are you eating, Kes?" I smelled them, just as she answered me sheepishly, "Geddy Beans." I laughed. "Oh, did you find some Jelly Beans?" I'd forgotten that Elly and I hadn't finished them while Kes was napping earlier.

Kes cuddled me a few minutes, and then got down. I heard the whispery noise of the jelly beans again. It was clear that she was being as careful as she could, trying to be sneaky so that I wouldn't figure out what she was doing and say no. Then I felt her lean against the couch and I opened my eyes just in time to see her stop chewing. I could tell her mouth was still full of jelly beans, though - again, being sneaky! She did not want Mommy to know what she was doing.

So I closed my eyes again, and she got down. I peeked at her through my eyelashes and saw her go over to the jelly beans. She looked up at me - I shut my eyes for a moment to make sure she was convinced I wasn't looking - then leaned over and fished a jelly bean out. She held it tightly in her fist and looked up at me again. Sure it was safe, she turned around and popped it in her mouth.

I was trying so hard not to laugh and betray my (half) shut eyes. She was simply charming. On the other hand, I'm in trouble if she's already understanding a) when she should be sneaky and b) how to be sneaky, all at the tender age of just-turned two. But it was darn cute. Geddy beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment