Friday, August 22, 2008

Elly did get some of my genes...

Tonight, Eliana had just finished reading a book and I told her it was now time for bed.
Elly: "Just a minute. I want to feel Donovan kicking just like you were doing."
Me: "Well he's not really kicking. He might move around a little bit for you though."
Elly put her hands on my belly. Nothing happened. She gently pushed in one spot. He shifted position a little bit.
Elly: "Your belly is slobbery. Did you put something on it?"
Me: "Yes, that's oil. My skin hurts from getting so stretched out on my big belly, and the oil helps it feel much better."
Elly (pushing gently in a circle around my belly): "I have to practice pushing on your belly to feel the baby just like Miss Mason does. So, when I grow up I'm going to go to doctor school just like Aunt Katie."
At this point, Donovan really woke up and started moving his legs a lot, and kept it up for the rest of the conversation.
Me: "OK. Aunt Katie is going to be a doctor that takes care of people's eyes. What kind of doctor do you want to be?"
Elly: "A doctor that takes care of people's babies, like Miss Mason."
Me: "Miss Mason is a midwife. There are doctors that take care of babies in bellies too. Do you want to be a midwife or a doctor?"
Elly: "A midwife. Look, here's something hard. Maybe it's his head. Or maybe it's his foot."
Me: "He's so big now that his head wouldn't feel so little or be able to move around so fast."
Elly: "Oh, then it's definitely his foot. And here's his other foot, because I feel something hard over here." (I didn't check, but she was probably feeling his butt... or just the fact that my uterus is pretty firm at this point.) "Here's another hard part and it's really big, so this is his head. Mommy, look how big your belly got. It used to be so little with a little baby in it and now it's big with a big baby in it."
Me: "Yep. I'm 33 weeks now."
Elly: "33 weeks pregnant?"
Me: "Yep. Babies can come out anytime between 37 weeks and 42 weeks. They get to choose though, so we don't know when he's going to come out. It's over a month of time that he could choose to be born. But it's still too early. Babies can be born early but then they're sick and have to stay in the hospital."
Elly: "I think he's getting too big and he should come out now or he might be sick and go to the hospital."
Me: "No, he's pretty big but he's still not big enough to come out. We all have to wait a while longer. I know you are enjoying feeling my belly and playing with Donovan but it's your bedtime. Give him a hug goodnight and give me a hug goodnight, and Daddy will give you your first cuddle."
Elly: "But Mommy, I have to do this again tomorrow so I can learn how to feel babies and so when I grow up I can go to doctor school and be a midwife."
Me: "There's different school to be a midwife, so you can choose what you want to do."
Elly: "I want to go to midwife school."
Me: "OK. Tomorrow you can feel Donovan some more. Night."
Elly: "Night. Hey Daddy," (pounces on him) "did you know that lions eat meat? I learned that when I was reading Sammy the Seal tonight. And Mommy has oil on her belly to make it not hurt from getting so big."

No comments:

Post a Comment